A very special bakery
For ages 0 – 3 years
Cooking is such a great thing to do with your child! They discover new words, learn about quantity and measurement, as well as processes and instructions. Most importantly, they get to eat the yummy results of their efforts. If they are proud of their cooking, and you know of some customers, they could even open a bakery for an hour or two!
What do I need?
- Biscuit recipe and ingredients (most will include flour, eggs, milk, butter and sugar)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Baking tray/s
- Kitchen scales
How do I do it?
- Choose a recipe together – in a cookbook or online, or on a packet mix from the supermarket.
- Read the recipe to your child and talk about the ingredients you’ll need. Together, you can look for them in your kitchen.
- As you follow the recipe, ask questions like:
- Can you see if we have 3 eggs in the fridge?
- Can you measure one cup of sugar?
- Is the cup almost full?
- What does half a cup look like?
- Can you find 100 grams on the measuring scale?
- Why do we need to grease the tray?
- Would you like to set the timer?
- Once the biscuits have cooked and cooled, ask your child if they would be the ‘special taster’. Are the biscuits good?
- As you enjoy them, ask your child to retell the steps you used to bake the biscuits.
Now it’s time for them to decide what to do with the rest of the biscuits.
What would you like to do with the rest of the biscuits? Share them with your family? Take them on a picnic? Or maybe open a special bakery and sell them?
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.