Becoming a butterfly
For ages 6 months – 6 years
Let your child take flight as they discover how caterpillars change into butterflies. This game helps your child develop their balance, as well as their awareness of their head and body.
Note – this game won’t suit every child. If they are uncomfortable being rolled up in the blanket, you could be the one to change from a caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly.
What do I need?
- A blanket, sheet, or other large piece of fabric.
How do I do it?
- Spread the fabric out on the floor. Ask your child to lie close to one edge –and roll them up in it, like a burrito
- As you do, ask them to pretend they are a little caterpillar – in its home.
- See if they can unroll themselves along the floor to become a beautiful butterfly. You can pull gently on the edge to help them.
- When they have rolled out of their cocoon, see if they can spread their wings and fly away! They can even use the fabric as their wings now!
- Talk to your child about how caterpillars do change into butterflies. You could look at pictures on the internet, or find a book about it – such as The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Do it a few more times. Have a turn yourself, so your child can see you become a beautiful butterfly.
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.