Build an animal kingdom
For ages 18 months – 8 years
It’s fun helping your child build a special place for their toy animals – with ja few simple things from the house and garden. They can use their imagination to create stories about their animal kingdom!
What do I need?
- Toy animals – farm animals, zoo animals, small dolls and dinosaurs – whatever you have in the house – you can use 2 or 20.
- A container – cardboard box, storage tub or deep tray
- A collection of natural things from outside – leaves, rocks, twigs, pine cones, flowers
- Other natural objects your child likes to play with – shells, fossils…
How do I do it?
- Go for a walk outside – take a basket or a bucket to bring your treasures back with you.
- Ask your child: What things can you see and find?
- Help them choose natural objects that you can safely and easily collect.
- Place the container in a safe place – inside or outside. Your child can use what they have found to build a special home for their animals.
- Chat with your child about what is happening in their animal kingdom. They can make up a story as you play together.
- Encourage them to choose new objects to bring into their play.
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.