For ages 2 – 8 years
Building cubbies is a fun thing to do! It provides an opportunity for children to plan, create, discuss and problem solve. They can use anything, build nearly anywhere and then have a wonderful time “living” in them.
What do I need?
- Pencil and paper
How do I do it?
- Talk to your child about building a cubby. Ask them to decide:
- Where will we build it?
- What could it be like?
- How big will it be?
- What will you use it for?
- What can we make it from?
- Encourage your child to draw a design of the cubby.They could write a list of things to collect from around the house.
- Help them collect the materials and follow their design to build the cubby.
- Now comes the fun part – it’s time to move in. Both of you can use your cubby! (And who else is going to move in? Brothers and sisters? Teddies or toys?)
- If they love playing with cubbies, you don’t have to leave it there. What about building a cubby outdoors? What things will have to be different for the cubby to be outside? What will you need? And where might you make it?
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.