Feely bag guessing game
For ages 2 – 8 years
This fun game is full of surprises! It encourages your child to play the detective and figure out what’s in their hands. They will learn to use new words – improving their language and communication skills.
What do I need?
- A cloth bag, such as a shopping bag or pillowcase.
- Safe, everyday items. You can use items of different sizes, shapes and textures. Here are some examples:
- bath sponge
- wooden spoon
- plastic flower
- wooden block
- small toy
- small box
- paper, tissues, tissue paper
- hairbrush or comb.
How do I do it?
- Place the items in the bag.
- Give the bag to your child and ask them to reach inside. Without them looking, encourage your child to choose one item to touch and hold – still inside the bag. Ask them to guess what they are holding. (You might need to show them what to do at first.)
- Talk with your child about what they can feel. Use ‘describing words’ like hard, soft, smooth, rough, warm, cold, long, short, big, small, lumpy, bumpy, flat, round.
- Ask questions such as: “What does it feel like”, “Can you tell me about it?”
- Ask them to guess what it is.
- Now it’s your turn! Ask your child to put different items in the bag for you to guess.