For ages 0 – 8 Years
Children are small for such a short time. Capture a memory by making a Christmas salt dough ornament of their hand or finger print. A great gift idea for grandparents as well! Your child will learn how to follow a recipe and explore their creativity.
What do I need?
- 2 cups of flour
- ½ cup salt
- ¾ cup water
- Mixing spoon.
How do I do it?
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl. Slowly add water, mixing until you have a dough.
- Roll the dough out on a flat surface. Use a bowl or cup (depending on the size you want) to cut out a shape.
- Then make an imprint of your child’s whole hand or their fingerprint. Make a small hole at the top of each ornament for hanging.
- Bake in 180 degree Celcius oven for about 2 to 3 hours until the dough no longer feels squishy. Place on a rack to cool.
- When cold, paint the handprint to make it stand out. Write your child’s name and the year on the back. Use some string or ribbon to hang.
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.