Put on a puppet show
For ages 3 – 8 years
What could be more fun than creating characters, telling a story and putting on a show?This is an enjoyable and challenging way for your child to develop their imagination. They will also build their speaking and listening skills.
What do I need?
- Sticks – ice cream sticks, chopsticks, garden sticks, bamboo skewers or pencils
- Paper or old magazines
- Crayons, felt pens or pencils
- Sticky tape
How do I do it?
- Ask your child to imagine the characters they would like to create. They could be people, animals, teddy bears, cars – anything your child can imagine.
- Ask them to draw their characters. You might like to make your own puppets with them.
- Once they have finished drawing and colouring, carefully cut out the characters with the scissors (some children may be able to help with this).
- You could cut out pictures from magazines, to add to your child’s puppets or to create the scene for their show.
- Use the sticky tape to attach the puppet to the stick.
- Now it’s time to create the puppet show! You can help them practice their storytelling.
- When they are ready, you can sit down and be the audience for the show. They might like to invite other family members or make a video to send to others.
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.