Ready, set, go… let’s build an exercise circuit
For ages 5 – 8 years
This is great fun! Your child can plan out their exercise circuit, build it and then use it!
Physical activity is important for our body, our brain and our wellbeing. With this activity your child is developing their movement, coordination and language skills. And they will feel great!
What do I need?
- Chairs to crawl through or climb over
- A sheet to crawl under
- Buckets to jump over
- Blocks or bricks to balance on
- A rope to balance on
- A ball and a tub for shooting goals
- A space to do star jumps
- A timer
How do I do it?
- Talk to your child about creating an exercise circuit (inside or outside). This might include:
- jumping over things
- crawling through or under something
- bouncing a ball,
- balancing along a plank, rope or wall
- Ask them to plan how the circuit is going to work and where each challenge should be. They can decide how many ‘stations’ there will be and what the rules are. They can even draw out the plan and label all the activities.
- Time how long it takes them to go through the circuit. Do they think that they can do it faster? If they set a timer, can they beat it?
- Measure your child’s heart rate. If you have a smartphone, you can download the free app Cardio. How hard did they work? Can they work harder and increase their heart rate?
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.