Roll ’em up building game
For ages 5 – 8 years
This game challenges your child to think creatively. Which pieces will be good to build with? What am I going to build? As they get more confident, you can increase the challenge. This activity helps children connect maths to their everyday lives.
What do I need?
- Dice or the phone app ‘Dice roller’
- Collection of Lego or similar building bricks
- Play partner (optional)
- Timer (optional)
How do I do it?
- Put your Lego in the centre of your playing area (floor or table).
Roll the dice and pick up the number of building pieces that you roll. Each player keeps the building pieces in their pile.
- After 5 rolls each, use the collection of building pieces to build something. You might set a timer and challenge your child to finish their building in, for example, 10 minutes.
- Now, do it again. Each player rolls the dice 5 more times, collects their pieces and continues creating. It could be a new structure or players can keep building onto the first one.
After they have finished their first creation, they can use the same building pieces to make something different. Another challenge: choose pieces of just one colour, shape or size, and build using only those pieces.
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.