For ages 6 months – 8 years
Create a clever instrument at home. This is simple but fun and your child can make some great sounds. When they listen, they can notice the different sounds and start to make musical tunes.
What you’ll need:
- Glass bottles, jars or glasses (same size is best but not necessary)
- Pencil, stick or chopstick
- Food dye– red, yellow, blue
How do you do it?
- Add different amounts of water to each of the containers, starting at a low level and then a bit more with each bottle.
- Use the food dyes to make each bottle different, and talk about the colours.
- Help your child to gently tap each bottle with a pencil or stick, while they listen for the different sounds.
- Talk with your child about the different sounds and why that might be.
- Give them the time to explore their coloured instruments and the sounds they make. You can encourage them to make up a song to go with their music.
No-one knows your child better than you. So, choose and/or adapt ideas here to best suit you and your child. Remember it’s the talking and time spent together that matters most.